5 Tips to Survive Finals Week

Hey, guys! So it's that time of year again: finals week. I know it can seem dreadful and quite frankly very stressful, but with a few tips and tricks you can make this finals week productive while staying calm, cool, and collected.

1. Prepare ahead of time--I started creating study materials for my finals as soon as the class either a) started material that would be covered on the final or b) had started material after our last exam before the final. So it will range from class to class depending on if your final is cumulative or only covers a certain section of material. For me, I have a mix of both so I started studying for some classes sooner than others. I would suggest studying for cumulative finals first since those traditionally cover the most material.

2. Studying in order of occurrence--For example, I am studying for my final in my online course the most right now since it is on Monday and then working my way down in order of when my test date is. If you have multiple tests in a day, study for the exam you take first and then so on. I try to always study for each class every day, but I tend to focus on the exam coming up soon so that it is fresh in my mind. And as I take my finals, I take the same approach in focusing on the next final while also being sure to cover other classes as well.

3. Take study breaks--This is very, very important but it takes some discipline to have the perfect balance of work and play. I often will study some material for a certain set time before taking a break. For instance, I will tell myself I will study for an hour before I take a break to eat dinner or I will study for the half hour break in between my classes. Find what works for you. I find that I learn the material better if I take short and frequent breaks rather than forcing myself to study for hours on end. However, do limit your break time as well. I try to make my break one specific activity such as having a meal or snack, going for a walk, running an errand, or reading a chapter of a book. Find activities that make you happy and can act as a reward for your hard work.

4. Create a study space--I am lucky enough to live in an apartment with a roommate who is pretty quiet and also cares a lot about school and making good grades so my room is my go-to study spot. However, some people do not have that luxury and often find themselves in a library or coffee shop. My suggestion is that wherever you are, you make it yours. Whether you need some earbuds to block out the noise or have a cozy sweater to keep your comfortable, create an environment that helps you to focus and thrive. I often make sure that my space is clean by clearing things off my desk. Also, I keep my phone out of my direct line of vision so that I am not tempted to look at any incoming notifications.

5. Find what study methods work for you--I know that I study my best when I am alone, either in my room at my desk or in a library or study room on campus. I find it distracting and unproductive to work with friends even if we are in the same class. Also, I find that making notecards for any formulas or diagrams helps me learn that material better than just reading it over in my notes. Another big help in my studying is Quizlet. I know I just mentioned making notecards but I use Quizlet more for its testing and learning features rather than the notecards themselves. I like being able to test myself on the material and be able to see what concepts I am understanding and what I need to work on. However, I know some people that prefer to write out study sheets and study those for their finals. Find a method that you enjoy and that helps you to learn best.


Good luck to everyone taking finals in the next few weeks. I wish you all the best and happy studying!


Comments

Popular Posts