5 Ways to Make Your College Dorm/Apartment Feel Like Home

Hey, guys! I'm back with another college post. For this post, I wanted to talk about making your dorm or apartment feel more like home. I know this is such a big thing for me because I am total home-body so my space needs to make me feel comfortable. So, let's get into some tips.

1. Items from your home--This might seem like an obvious thing to do, but it makes the biggest difference in your space. No matter if it's a blanket you love from home or a jewelry box you had in your bedroom, anything that reminds you of home will definitely help your new space feel more comfortable.



2. Pictures of family and friends--I love having photos displayed in my room. I suggest getting some frames from Target or Hobby Lobby and having them on your dresser, desk, or walls throughout your space. I know Pinterest has some great DIY photo board ideas so check those out if you are interested.



3. Candles/Room fragrance--When I was in the dorms, my biggest thing was having a space that was not only clean but smelled nice too. Now while the dorms did not allow for candles, they did allow oil warmers or oil diffusers. Just having a fresh scent in an unfamilar space can help you feel at home in a place that otherwise doesn't feel so homey.



4. Color scheme--Before I moved into my current college apartment, the first thing I did was pick a color scheme for my room. I wanted the colors in the room to be relaxing and make me happy to be in the room. Find a color scheme that makes you want to be in the space and find items such as a bedspread, pillows, and wall art that fit that color scheme to really tie the room together.



5. Organization/Room set-up--It's important that the overall organization and layout of your room wokrs for you. You can usually move furniture around (even if it's just a few inches in a direction) to your liking. I know in the dorms my bed needed to be pushed back more against a wall to allow for a larger walkway between my bed and desk. Small changes like that can make a big difference in your space.







Comments

Popular Posts