5 Tips for Better Time Management in College

Hey, guys! So I'm currently wrapping up finals this week and just wanted to share some of my tips for time management during this very busy time.

1. Set times for you to work--This is huge thing for me because I often find it hard to stop working on assignments or other things for school. So, I allow myself to work during normal daytime hours so usually from around 8 or 9 AM  to around 5 or 6 PM  with a few small breaks in between. This allows me to feel productive and get what is needed to be done but without letting it take over my day. Now, I don't cut myself off right on time but rather once the end of time is approaching I finish the task I am working on and then stop.

2. Take breaks--This goes along with my first tip because, in order to get what you need to get done, you need a break. No one can work non-stop for hours on end and not go insane. However, your breaks do not need to be long; for example, you can take a 5-10 minute just to stop what you are doing and take some deep breaths or get a glass of water.

3. Make to-do lists and break down into smaller tasks--I find this tip super helpful especially when it comes to studying. For example, if I have "study for marketing exam" on my to-do list, it is not that specific and doesn't really tell me what needs to be done. Maybe I need to outline a chapter of the textbook or make flashcards of important vocabulary words. Just make sure you add more actionable items to your to-do list so you can get more done and actually be productive.

4. Prioritize the top 5 tasks for the day--If you are anything like me, your to-do list can be so long that you have way too many tasks for just one day. That's why I like creating a smaller to-do list on the side of the top 5 things I absolutely need to get done that day. For example, anything with a pressing deadline is usually something that makes my top 5 list.

5. Put your phone away--This is probably the hardest tip of them all but it's one of the most important. I know for me my phone can be very distracting so I need it to be out of my reach whenever I am trying to be productive. Some things you can do are plug in your phone across the room, put it in your backpack or purse while you work, or use the do not disturb feature to stop incoming notifications and limit the apps you can use.


Comments

Popular Posts