How to Begin Your Post-Grad Job Search

Hey, guys! Today I wanted to share something that is relevant to me right now and that is looking for jobs post-graduation. Now while I don't graduate till August, I wanted to be on top of my job search so I can know my next steps and possibly have a job offer before I even graduate. So, here are some of my tips to help with your search.

1. Update your resume and cover letter--First thing you should do is update your resume and cover letter since you will be sharing these with a lot of potential employers. Often times, your resume will determine if you move on to the next steps in the hiring process so you want to make sure it is perfect. I suggest having an advisor, friend, or someone in the same industry you are looking to enter look over your resume with you and help you improve it before you begin applying.

2. Create an Excel spreadsheet with the names and contact information for potential employers as well as the date you applied, the position you applied for, and when you sent emails or had an interview--This helps you see how long it has been since you contacted a company and reminds you to send a follow up if needed. It also helps you stay more organized overall and gives a place for you to write any notes about an interview experience.

3. Create a Linkedin account--Linkedin is a wonderful tool that I think many people my age do not utilize as much as they should. Use it to connect with your peers, professors, and those in the industry you want to be in. You can also use it to showcase your experience and see what professionals in the industry are doing as well. Linkedin can also be used to reach out to those with knowledge in the field and talk with them about their experiences.

4. Bookmark company's career pages of their website--A lot of times a company will not post every single available job on Linkedin or Indeed so you will want to continuously check their website for new openings.




Comments

Popular Posts